JAZZ - BLUES - FUNK - ROCK - BRAZILIAN MUSIC - CLASSICAL GUITAR - FOLK - POP - GYPSY JAZZ
YOUR FAVOURITE SONGS - TECHNIQUE - READING - GRADES EXAM PREPERATION - HARMONY & THEORY
The most important thing is: 'What do you want?' We will find that out in the beginning of our lessons - and I will keep checking in on that during the course of our lessons.
To achieve your aims and play the music you want to play, I will give you the tools you need. All you need to do is to practise and enjoy the sound of your great instrument. I will always try to teach you basics and technique as much as possible in the context of a musical piece that you want to play. At times it is inavoidable to to practise certain techniques on their own.
And now some topics we will cover:
LEVEL I :
- Your favourite guitar songs that you always wanted to play.
- technique: right hand fingerstyle, left hand technique, posture, alternate picking / strumming
- Basics of the guitar ( chord strumming and picking - alternate, finger style, plectrum/pick, thumb, first position notes, bar chords )
- Reading Music: WHY? To read music is especially for guitarists a helpful tool to understand their own instrument. Besides of course the usual benefits: ability to play with other musicians, write for them, write down your own compositions, being able to read music. 'Isn't it hard???' - Don't worry it's not, even I learned it..... and I learned it late! I've developped some great ways of learninng and teaching it without causing my students a too hard life.
- Chords and single notes
- Improvisation, guitar soloing.
- The blues
LEVEL II :
- different rhythms and grooves (reggae, funk, samba / bossa nova, swing, gypsy jazz rhythms)
- soloing and jamming in different styles and feels)
- arranging and producing your compositions and songs
- playing more repertoire and more advanced repertoire
ADVANCED LEVEL I :
- cover all the areas of the fretboard ( learn all the main fingerings for the major and minor scales & triads / arpeggios )
- seventh chords, 9th chords, and other higher structure chords
- jazz blues
- combining walking bass and chords
- advanced harmony and theory
- Lead sheet reading and playing
- ADVANCED LEVEL II:
- solo transcriptons
- joe pass style soloing, playing on the changes
- jazz comping
- jazz voicings
- different soloing concepts
ADVANCED LEVEL III:
- bebop style soloing
- more jazz voicings
- melody chord arrangements (writing your own ones)
- advanced rhythmic vocabulary